Monday, 19 January 2015

Vogue 8948 - Fitted Sheath - The "Star Wars" Dress!

Hello all!

So the origins of this dress are two-fold. I wanted to try my hand at a nice colour blocked dress AND when I saw this Star Wars print at Spotlight, I knew I had to use it for something! I didn't want to make a dress entirely out of the print as it's quite busy so I thought it would perfect to try colour blocking with.

I originally intended to use McCalls 6028 - "The Perfect Sheath" however something just wasn't quite right about it... That feeling in the gut. Yet whichever patterns I looked at I couldn't seem to find one that I thought would work well. Until I found Vogue 8948 - which I almost overlooked because of the (what I thought to be) the rather "meh" looking dress with flounce on the envelope. However there are some really lovely alternatives for a lovely fitted sheath. I chose to make view 'C' with the built in cap-sleeves, mostly because I thought it would be a good spread and balance of the print in comparison to the contrast colour.

I cut a size 14. The fabric I used was a Star Wars printed poplin from Spotlight and a black panama suiting for the contrast side panels. 

I also used bemsilk lining for the lining. This patterns uses a lining instead of a facing which is just dandy by me because I always line everything anyway! I used white lining for behind the poplin as it had a white background and looked murky on a black lining. Black lining was used for under the black fabric. 

The great part about this pattern was that it was ridiculously simple. I mean there are only FOUR pattern pieces and they are used again for the lining. That and because of the lovely fitted princess seams it doesn't need any darts or pleats.

And the finished product! 

Overall, I'm very happy with how this turned out! I like that although it is a 'novelty' dress it is still really elegant!

Please feel free to comment, share and pin!