Thursday, 18 December 2014

New Look 6107 - Misses Sportswear - (Basic Skirt)

Hello internet folks!

I'm in the process of making another pattern (TBA later) which is driving me up the wall. I wanted a quick and simple one-day job to give me the sewing satisfaction I craved. 

I chose to make a simple skirt using New Look 6107.
I liked the simple darts, waistband as well as the below-knee length.

I was inspired to make something yellow after seeing some lovely yellow skirts from Review's Spring collection, and the realisation that I did not actually own any yellow clothing.

A couple of inspiration pieces:

As it turned out, I had in my fabric stash a quilting cotton with a floral yellow print. I'm not a huge fan of using quilting cotton for clothing as it tends to wrinkly pretty badly, yet the busy print of this one seemed to disguise that trouble.

I cut a size 16, although it probably would have been a better, more precise fit with a 14. 
The pattern is unlined but I chose to add a lining using a white Italian anti-static lining.

I followed the hem allowance precisely, yet the dress still fell above the knees. I can only assume that the model on the envelope was quite petite.

See images below:

Style Notes:

Please feel free to comment, pin and share :)

Wednesday, 3 December 2014

Simplicity 2588 Project Runway Pattern - The "Joan" Dress

This dress had been something I wanted to try for a long time. Having been my favourite of the many gorgeous dresses worn by Christina Hendricks (Joan Holloway) on Mad Men I knew I had to create my own version. The question was which pattern would help me to create this. I eventually settled on Simplicity 2588 because the thick yoke band gave me a chance to create the contrast panel and tie needed. 

I drafted my own tie pieces and sewed them to the inside of the yoke facing. I had considered just sewing them in place like many other replica's I'd seen, but I rather preferred the authenticity of a functional tie! I also put the pink satin yoke around the back as well as I wasn't fond of the way it stopped at the shoulder seams on the original. Other changes to the original were as a result of the pattern used and my unwillingness to make the job needlessly difficult (eg. used cap-sleeves instead of elbow length, and skirt had front pleats instead of darts) I also fully lined the dress and used an invisible zipper.

I used an "Eggplant" purple panama suiting for the dress, with fuchsia satin for the yoke and tie. I used black acetate bemsilk for the lining. I finished the dress with a small round silver pin, yet misplaced it at the time of photographing, so had to make do with a button that was just a wee bit small!

As I laid out my fabric to be cut, I had a feeling I was being watched... (spot the kitty!)

Drafting tie pieces:

Assembling yoke:

Bodice mid-construction:

Finished product:

Functional neck tie as per the original:

It also turns out to be the same dress used for the official Joan Mad Men Barbie doll!

Thank you for reading!
Please feel free to comment, share and pin!

Tuesday, 2 December 2014

Simplicity 1609 Vintage Jiffy Dress #2

So last post, I mentioned the inspiration for my next take on Simplicity 1609. You can see my first version here

This turned out exactly how I pictured it, so I'm very happy! The best part about this pattern is how well it fits me straight out of the envelope. Those french darts are so flattering! 

This time, I made the dress in a panama suiting fabric. I fully lined the dress, and made the variation with the bow. I made the bow in a contrast cream fabric, and chose not to fold it underneath as instructed.

 The 60's 'Mod' pose

That large bow is amaze!

Please feel free to comment, share and pin!