Thursday 2 April 2015

Simplicity 4795 - Misses Costumes - Motormouth Maybelle - Hairspray Musical


This was a project made for a student at the school where I teach.

Every two years they organise a middle and senior school musical. This year it's Hairspray! As previous readers know I have more than somewhat of an affinity for 60's fashion, so this was right up my alley!

This costume was made for the character Motormouth Maybelle for the finale.
I styled it after the finale outfit worn by Queen Latifah in the 2007 film adaption.

See photo of original below:


I used Simplicity 4795 which is intended to be for Nativity Costumes. I made the view for the Angel as it had the right shape for the dress. Tunic fit with flared sleeves.



I constructed this dress out of a gold Duchess Satin, and used 3 red feather Boa's to trim the sleeves and hem of the dress.

I made some alterations to the style. 

Firstly the front and back pieces are both the same pattern piece, both cut on the fold. Since I didn't have the fabric to do this for both I cut the back pieces with a seam allowance and put a seam up the back. 

The dress was also too tight to dance and move in, so I added slits up the side of the dress for freedom of movement. 

Finally, I altered the neckline. As it was the same pattern piece as the back, the front of the dress was far too high. So I used the top of View B from New Look 6184 to lower the neckline and add some pleats which provided more shape and interest.

I self drafted a sash to bring in the waist.







Thanks for looking!

Feel free to comment, share and pin!


No comments:

Post a Comment


Leave me a comment!

♥ Alyce x